Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi there!  (Read 3162 times)

yoplaid

• New User
    • View Profile
Hi there!
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:21:34 »

Hi there,
I've just registered and wanted to say hello.
Right now I'm just revisiting the tracker's world. I'm biased towards the hip-hop instrumentals side of things. Many many years ago, when I tried (without success) make my own instrumentals I discovered milkytracker and trackers in general. Since the interface just makes sense to me (I'm an engineer), I have decided to continue that path.
So well, I'm just thinking to try it again, just for fun, and who knows, I might come up with something interesting, during these years I learned to play some instruments etc.
Well, nice to be here and if anyone would give me some peace of advice about making hip-hop instrumentals with trackers, or recomend me a tracker besides milky tracker, I'll be really gratefull.
See you!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Hi there!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 19:22:20 »

Welcome! ;D
There is a wide variety of trackers out there, and a handful of them are still more or less actively developed - including OpenMPT, Schism Tracker, FastTracker 2 clone, Renoise (if you want to go less "retro" and have a more modern environment which still resembles the tracker workflow) and many others.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

yoplaid

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:26 »

Hi,
Thanks for the welcoming.
I've tried plenty of them, basically the open source ones which run on linux. Schism, Milkytracker, fasttracker 2 clone, the original one and klystrack. My conclusions so far are:

Schism
I like the keyboard driven interface, I use it with a laptop so it is quite convinient. I also like it to chop samples, since it is basically numerical and I can chop interactively. I also like that once I've chopped a sample on the beat, the rest of chops are easier since I have the actual lenght of the sample. It is also easy to set the speed so that it sounds like the original.
The thing a don't like about this tracker is that I quantizes too much when live recording. I like to layout the drum live recording and that's not possible with schism, may be there's an option but I haven't found it.
I also don't like that the filter is instrument wise. I like to put a chop or a drum in each key, a la MPC, so I need different filters for each sample.

MilkyTracker.
For now the one I'm playing with. I doen't have either the quantize problem nor the filters problem. The only downfall is that is not so much keyboard driven. I miss some further information about shortcuts, since I feel there are some missing like, for example, I can browse files with (I don't remember if it is exactly this combination) Ctr+Shift+Up/Down, but i can't select a file from the keyboard, at least I haven't found the shortcut yet. I also miss a load sample shortcut and some shortcuts to chop interactively the samples. For the rest it works just fine for me.

Klystrack.
Too synthesis oriented to be a good option for me.

Fastracker 2 / clone.
Very much like milkytracker, well the other way arround, but without filters and effects AFAIK.

Well that's my current experience, I've came to a rather good work flow, but I haven't done anything too complicated yet. Any piece of advice is very welcome.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 18:59:43 »

Just a hint for more options: OpenMPT runs pretty well on Wine as well, in particular if you use a recent (3.0 or later) Wine version. As far as I know, Renoise provides a Linux version as well.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

yoplaid

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:22:13 »

Thanks for the hint, I'll take a look to OpenMPT, although the interface is not too inspiring  ;D. About renoise, for the time beeing, i'll like to stick to open source stuff until I feel enougth confortable with tracking before investing money on comertial and very complete software. Learn the basics I supose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up