Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ST3 and IT style visualizer?  (Read 3602 times)

ASIKWUSpulse

• Trying not to explore too much in composing...
    • View Profile
ST3 and IT style visualizer?
« on: January 09, 2020, 23:05:49 »

Wouldn't that be cool?
They have this special play-window with real-time visuals, like the note-spectrum, the channel-view ofc and the VU-meters with status-window of the instruments currently playing in the channels with as small details as showing if note-off has been struck or not.

It's a good way when you've got no good MV-skills + only a computer, and you wanna share stuff on video-media.

The demand is made because well, I know you can play .s3xmodit files in ST3 and IT to use those visuals, but other formats?
It would be cool with such a plugin that could play almost all the formats OpenMPT can import + some of the chip-formats like AHX and SID.

I would like to know how to program such visuals, but I'm very poor in that knowledge, I only know the basics of C++ and C# (I'm understanding the bit more advanced stuff like object-orientation, though there I quite already have too many juggling-balls in the air)
Samples can be anything recorded: Instruments, furniture and even junk! ;)

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: ST3 and IT style visualizer?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 17:48:29 »

It's probably not that difficult to implement although the data exposed by most mod playing libraries (like libopenmpt) is probably not verbose enough to support all the little details that can be observed in IT / ST3 (such as individual sample play positions etc.). SID is a completely different topic because SID files contain program code, not patterns. All you can get is tapping into the emulation of the SID chip and extract the volume / frequency of the notes being played. So all in all you would need different backends (playback libraries) for different formats, but with libopenmpt and some AHX player and some SID player would probably get very far already.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Nikku4211

• Rising Star
  • Also known as Nikku4212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 19:59:31 »

It would also be awesome to see oscilloscopes like in FastTracker 2.

ASIKWUSpulse

• Trying not to explore too much in composing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 17:28:06 »

Actually, yes! that too. I didn't think of that :D
Samples can be anything recorded: Instruments, furniture and even junk! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up