Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horizontal tracker interface  (Read 3290 times)

Diode

• New User
    • View Profile
Horizontal tracker interface
« on: October 02, 2020, 21:02:00 »

"It doesn't exist."
"It wouldn't work for tracker music."

https://famistudio.org/

Ok, this is not a tracker for any of the amiga-era formats supported here - it's for the NES sound chip. It does the same job as famitracker, (http://www.famitracker.com/) but with a modern gui. It existence demonstrates that there's no reason this style of interface can't be used for this form of music.

It's also open source, so any interested party could repurpose its code.

I've posted this thread in the hopes that it'll be seen by the right person.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Horizontal tracker interface
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 23:22:13 »

Hmm, I watched the video on the page but I couldn't find a tracker interface at all? I mean, the key "selling point" seems to be "Modern DAW-style UI with sequencer and piano roll, no hexadecimal anywhere" after all - i.e. having a piano-roll DAW instead of a tracker interface. Just because a program spits out music files that are compatible with the NES doesn't make it a tracker.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

ASIKWUSpulse

• Trying not to explore too much in composing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 14:54:14 »

Why would you want a horizontal tracker interface?

I mean like Saga said, Famistudio isn't a "horizontal tracker interface". If I were to express my real honest opinion, there's no such thing as vertical or horizontal trackers. They're just trackers.

Sure I see what you mean with a "horizontal" tracker interface, and it technically would work. Thing is, all other trackers have been made the other way due to a normal standard and being kept so for the sake of human direction sense, so why would anyone want an interface that completely swaps directions?

It will just disadvantageous mess with the sense of direction when you switch or use multiple trackers - I think that is why nobody has made any "horizontal" trackers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 14:58:08 by ASIKWUSpulse »
Samples can be anything recorded: Instruments, furniture and even junk! ;)

Steffest

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Online Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:29:31 »

I think that is why nobody has made any "horizontal" trackers.

I'm working on one.
Switchable between horizontal and vertical.

A bit like Ableton Live, where you can switch between Session view (which is vertical) and Arrangement view (which is horizontal)
Both have their advantages.

Even in most trackers there is already the concept of horizontal time in the sample-editor view.
Say you want a graphical preview of the waveform shape of each channel, then horizontal makes much more sense.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:31:13 by Steffest »

ASIKWUSpulse

• Trying not to explore too much in composing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 16:48:41 »

I think that is why nobody has made any "horizontal" trackers.

I'm working on one.
Switchable between horizontal and vertical.

A bit like Ableton Live, where you can switch between Session view (which is vertical) and Arrangement view (which is horizontal)
Both have their advantages.

Even in most trackers there is already the concept of horizontal time in the sample-editor view.
Say you want a graphical preview of the waveform shape of each channel, then horizontal makes much more sense.

Oh cool :o, I'm looking forward to see how the horizontal layout turns out. I might take back saying
If I were to express my real honest opinion, there's no such thing as vertical or horizontal trackers. They're just trackers.
, since I don't know because there are so many unknown trackers that might have had a horizontal layout option.

Thing is just I haven't thought of any of them as vertical or horizontal if the other option doesn't exist, then I feel it's no need to call them either the one or the other, even if it is laid out that way. But they might exists, so I should in reality say anything :)
Samples can be anything recorded: Instruments, furniture and even junk! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up