Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cosmic Choir.minor and major sample sources in Rama Gardens  (Read 4054 times)

121KN

• New User
    • View Profile
Cosmic Choir.minor and major sample sources in Rama Gardens
« on: February 25, 2021, 05:23:43 »

Hello everyone, I've been listening to modules for a while now, and some of them have become my all-time favorite tunes. I've started exploring some different VSTs, and in the process, I've inadvertently managed to find some of the original sample sources used in Skaven's songs. As a result, I've began gathering samples with what sources I know. However, I've only been able to find a few, not nearly enough to completely restore most of his songs in fact. For example, in the song Rama Gardens, I've managed to locate the original sources for the TouchWood, ChoirBell.Synth, and the DJ scratches (they might be from the Roland SC-55, however I cannot completely confirm this). However, there are still a few that I've yet to find, like the aforementioned Cosmic Choir and KorgLead.Mew. If anyone knows where those original samples came from, then please let me know. Oh and another thing, I won't be releasing the modified modules to this place unless I get permission from Skaven himself (and even then I won't be doing that unless I manage to completely restore a song, which has yet to happen).

Also for reference, here are the sample sources that I currently know of:
EMU Emax Library
Roland D-50
Korg M1
Korg Wavestation

I suspect that there could be more sample sources in the JV-1080 or U-220, but we'll have to see.

Whew, that was a lot! If you reached this point, then thanks for reading through this (unintentionally lengthy) post. Have a nice day!

121KN

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Choir.minor and major sample sources in Rama Gardens
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 21:16:48 »

Here are all the current samples I've located so far:
In Rama Gardens, the TouchWood sample is Synth Vox 1 from the Roland U-220, and ChoirBell was a patch that I found in the EMU Emax library, though I'm not sure what it is called.

Meanwhile, in Ice Frontier, BellVoice is actually a mix of Fantasia and Synth Vox 1 from Roland keyboards. Jungle-Track is also simply Synth Vox 1 but played as a 5th chord. BrassSynthLead might be SuperBrass from the Korg M1, though I'm not entirely sure since the quality of the sample is pretty low, making it harder to match.

The Soft Voice sample from songs like Crystal Dragon and The Alchemist is the choir sample from the Korg M1.

For Amazonas, the JungleFlute sound (both attack and decay) is actually the Shakuhachi sound from the EMU Emax library but split in half and looped.

The Factory Metal sample that appears in some of his songs is actually the tambourine sound from the Korg Wavestation but pitched down by several octaves.

And lastly, going back to Crystal Dragon, the Shakuhachi sound is a short hit of the Shakuhachi sample from the Roland D-50.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 18:38:33 »

KorgLead is, as the name suggests, probably from a Korg synth of the era, maybe M1 / Wavestation. That's as much as I can guess but unfortunately I don't know either.
The choir samples are sampled at a very low frequency, which might make it hard to compare them to original, higher-quality sources. But it's probably also a well-known sample-based synth from the era.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

121KN

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 02:41:54 »

Here's one of the tracks I've partially restored, which is Ice Frontier. Many of the samples are still the originals, but you can definitely hear the difference in quality. Some of the pitch bends on the brass lead are missing, this is because I manipulated the track to remediate the problem, the reason why is because the pitch bends would come out a mess.

121KN

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 19:07:00 »

Alright, so sorry for bumping this thread, but I think I may have just hit the jackpot in terms of samples!

I recently got the Ensoniq ASR library from Digital Sound Factory and I've managed to locate the original Low Saxophone sample from The Night of the Cats. Specifically, it's the patch "TENOR SAX" from CDR-2 (the second sample CD in the CDR series). I suspect there could be many more sources in the other banks, so this is pretty promising.
Pages: [1]   Go Up