Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Milktracker Wish List  (Read 3981 times)

MisthaLu

• New User
    • View Profile
My Milktracker Wish List
« on: March 17, 2021, 11:02:52 »

Here are some things I'd love to see in Milkytracker.
  • Add raw as filetype option when saving samples (iff and wav already supported)
  • When rendering to WAV, allow X number of loops to be rendered
  • Also: When rendering to WAV, the WAV always starts with some silence. Why is that? It would be nicer if it contained the exact data instead, making it easier to calculate where to split it up.
  • Add an Automatic Sample Trimmer (like in OpenMPT) in the Optimize section: Analyse the XM/MOD and cut away all bytes that are never actually played. There is already a "Min. all smp" option there, which cuts samples that are looped. Add additional cuts for all non-looped samples for the same option. No need for a new option. Borrow code from OpenMPT.
  • Add various standard effects options in the sample editor, like compressor, reverb and various filters
  • Add an option to convert a 16-bit sample into an 8-bit sample + a 6-bit sample (to be used together to create 14-bit quality in an 8-bit MOD).
Since it's a big passion of mine to make MODs and XMs, I'd be willing to pay someone to implement these features.

nitrofurano

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: My Milktracker Wish List
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 17:03:41 »

i'd add some features to this list:
- possibility of running script plugins (lua, python, etc.)
- import/export to .txt-based song formats, like vortextracker, famitracker, openmpt-clipboard, midicsv, etc.
- fm support (2 and 4 operators, at least)

MisthaLu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 17:37:13 »

i'd add some features to this list:
- possibility of running script plugins (lua, python, etc.)
- import/export to .txt-based song formats, like vortextracker, famitracker, openmpt-clipboard, midicsv, etc.
- fm support (2 and 4 operators, at least)

I think those are outside the scope of Milkytracker. As far as I understand, Milkytracker focuses on MOD and XM, and therefor won't add stuff outside those formats, such as scripts and FM support. That's not what MOD and XM is about at all. It would break compatibility completely, and that's not interesting at all.

But in regards of MIDI, you should definitely take a look at Timidity. It does an absolute outstanding job at converting MODs and XMs to MIDI. I have used it many times to make GM MIDI versions of my XM tracks, back when I was into J2ME development. (Old cellphones before Android and iPhone came along).

Alternatively, 2MIDI from Un4Seen is also awesome, especially if you want your MIDI to come with a matching soundfont containing all the samples.

Once you have a GM MIDI, it can usually be imported into other music applications, and converted to other formats too.

MisthaLu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 17:54:28 »

Additional request:

When transposing notes, it only transposes notes that has an instrument attached.

C-3 16 000  <-- is transposed fine
C-3 -- 30F   <-- is not transposed.

Would be nice if all notes were transposed.

MisthaLu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 06:47:35 »

Another request:

Milkytracker already has a nice feature that lets me remove all ununsed samples.
It would also be nice to be able to remove all notes in the track that doesn't have any sample data.

MisthaLu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 11:08:40 »

And another request:

It would be nice if Milkytracker could inform me of the highest frequency used in the track. I.e. what is the highest number of samples played per second. (Samples in this case meaning bytes for an 8-bit sound or 2x bytes for a 16-bit sound).

As a way to see the optimal mixing rate to set in a playerlib.

(Are there even any other tools that can give me this info?)

MisthaLu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 08:54:05 »

Another feature that could be awesome:

When resampling, add an option to automatically adjust 9xx effect-commands through the track.  :)

MisthaLu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 08:46:29 »

An additional wish from me:

When rendering to wav, Milkytracker adds a break or pause in the very beginning. Why? This makes it troublesome to play the wav in a smooth loop. Can this pause please be removed? Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up