Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Saxophone MED track is nearly 8MB big!  (Read 2635 times)

HKvalhe

• New User
  • Norwegian Amiga musican
    • View Profile
    • HKvalhe
My new Saxophone MED track is nearly 8MB big!
« on: March 17, 2022, 00:05:24 »

Hello, I am a Norwegian Amiga owner and user. I own an AmigaOne 500 aka SAM460ex. I use a NSM patched version of OctaMED SoundStudio v1.03c, together with a PPC native AHI tool called TheMaestrix, as well as true 16bit stereo samples found around the net.

I have completed composing a new Amiga track, called Saxophone. 16bit 4ch Club R&B Jazz composed by myself. The problem is that the MED file is nearly 8MB WITHOUT compression.

Therefore, I need to ask if I should compress it with BZIP and pack the mod as ZIP or something?

Would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks for accepting me here :)

Best wishes
Helge Kvalheim aka HKvalhe
Helge Kvalheim

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: My new Saxophone MED track is nearly 8MB big!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 18:16:31 »

If you want to upload it to ModArchive, the only archive format supported is ZIP. We currently support modules up to 15MB uncompressed, so it's well within the limits. But do check if samples can be optimized, I think in one of your previous uploads there was a huge 5MB sample of which only one the first second or so was ever played, so it was essentially a huge module for no good reason.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

HKvalhe

• New User
    • View Profile
    • HKvalhe
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 19:11:46 »

@Saga Musix
Thank you so much for explaining. I suppose by optimizing a sample, you mean trying to use compression methods to lower the size of it, or rather taking the whole song and try to use compression methods, like those in OctaMED SoundStudio. I can compress as BZIP, as I have a PPC OS4 native version of that. Very efficient and should allow it to be compact.

Sometimes, within a module like that of MED, Cross Echo is also sometimes used, and 16bit true samples, especially stereo, are twice to quadruple the size of 8bit mono samples, so that do say a little! However, it's not impossible to keep size down as possible through some great compression methods, without sacrifying the quality.

Please remove Hiroshima from rejected. It's not ever likely to be uploaded at all, and the samples are not smart used. I rather focus on these new releases of mine, which is more interesting.

Saxophone should be well under the limit request of uncompressed size of 15MB, being nearly 8MB without compression. I'm starting to understand the point with compression in this situation. I will of course bear that in mind.

Thanks for explaining. Looking forward to see Saxophone succesfully accepted ;)

Best wishes
Helge Kvalheim aka HKvalhe
Helge Kvalheim

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 19:32:13 »

I suppose by optimizing a sample, you mean trying to use compression methods to lower the size of it, or rather taking the whole song and try to use compression methods, like those in OctaMED SoundStudio
What I mean is to apply any sort of compression, but remove unused samples or unused parts of samples - as said, in that one track you uploaded only the first second or so of a really huge sample was actually played, so trimming the excess length in the sample editor of OctaMED would do the trick. This won't affect the quality of the music in any way, because that part of the sample would never have been played anyway.

Please remove Hiroshima from rejected. It's not ever likely to be uploaded at all, and the samples are not smart used.
It would be up to you to upload the new version (optimized or not) - it's your decision.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

HKvalhe

• New User
    • View Profile
    • HKvalhe
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 23:24:54 »

@Saga Music
Thanks for explaining. I'm relatively new on this site, but could shorten some samples. I haven't played Hiroshima for a long while, so I need to take a look on that track. Using the Sample Editior of OctaMED SoundStudio v1.03c should be fairly simple. I use it especially with my voice samples, after improving them in Audacity on PC.

I will try as you suggested for future references. Thanks again :)

By the way, it was that long, pointless rain sample that was too big alone a sample file. This should in fact just be removed or replaced with a much shorter, identical intro for the Hiroshima track :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 23:55:03 by HKvalhe »
Helge Kvalheim
Pages: [1]   Go Up