Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: So... the archive is dead?  (Read 5287 times)

Viraxor

• New User
    • View Profile
So... the archive is dead?
« on: November 14, 2023, 21:55:41 »

Sad to see it all go like this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 21:07:10 by Viraxor »

Flashira

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
  • Zeroxygen Studios
    • View Profile
Re: So... the archive is dead?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 03:54:26 »

I don't think it's dead, not yet
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 03:56:06 by Flashira »

Flashira Nakirov | Graphic Designer and (sometimes) Musician

cs127

• New User
  • massive OpenMPT enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 04:38:17 »

if it really is dying, then, has anyone thought of preserving all modules (and comments and maybe even user profiles) so that someone can make a new modarchive (with the old data preserved) if the current one dies?
or is that too big of a task?

psychodargon

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 11:04:55 »

I don't want the archive is dead :'(
I hope there will be a new owner here who can take care of all the systems of this website.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:09:09 by psychodargon »

YeKM19

• New User
  • Blank_But Coming Soon ..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 11:15:00 »

sadly, everyone cannot comment, rating and add to favorites cause features is disabled.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:17:46 by YeKM19 »

Viraxor

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 11:29:05 »

if it really is dying, then, has anyone thought of preserving all modules (and comments and maybe even user profiles) so that someone can make a new modarchive (with the old data preserved) if the current one dies?

That could be possible. We could also retrieve the source code from the admins, perhaps? I don't know, but the hosting fees will eventually expire if there's nobody to pay them..
The modules can definitely be preserved. There are about 200k modules on the archive and you can download 20000 modules per day. I could probably DL it all in a few days, considering that I could also use the torrent tracker to download the earlier additions at once. About the user accounts, I have no idea. We could use the API.

Edit: I don't know how will we make functional user accounts though. We cannot obtain passwords and emails.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:39:33 by Viraxor »

Viraxor

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 21:22:16 »

Bad news:

:(
I'm really sad for Red. Hope that the chemotherapy works out. People from the whole demoscene, they provide support and hope for the best, m0d. You didn't deserve this (the overall awfulness of this community, the sickness and everything else) at all. Best wishes.

Flashira

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
  • Zeroxygen Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 05:20:36 »

Forgot to tell you this, but I recently became an administrator of TMA, meaning that I'm able to merge modules and some other admin stuff now (even though I don't think I'm good enough), so I may at least be able to keep TMA alive, sort of. However I don't think I should turn some interactive features back on, especially since that blackwhitey and Omegatronic incident.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 05:22:17 by Flashira »

Flashira Nakirov | Graphic Designer and (sometimes) Musician

cs127

• New User
  • massive OpenMPT enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 11:43:50 »

Forgot to tell you this, but I recently became an administrator of TMA, meaning that I'm able to merge modules and some other admin stuff now (even though I don't think I'm good enough), so I may at least be able to keep TMA alive, sort of. However I don't think I should turn some interactive features back on, especially since that blackwhitey and Omegatronic incident.

oh great, congrats on becoming an admin!

by the way, I think the only interactive feature that is currently enabled is uploading modules.

while I do think registering new accounts, commenting on modules, and leaving a message on someone's profile, are features that should probably remain disabled for now (due to the incidents that happened recently), I think enabling everything else (like editing your own profile or managing modules) should be fine to enable, no?

looper231

• Casual guy
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 07:15:12 »

One of my friends is actually planning to snap shot the archive. He's been downloading the module torrents lately. He's doing it in moderation not to consume too much bandwith.

Sad to see this place in such a state
"Beyond the reach of human range. A bit of evil. A touch of strange" - Paradox
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up