Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Remember the first time?  (Read 19254 times)

the Deviant

• View Profile
    • http://thedeviant.nav.to
Remember the first time?
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:09:39 »

Go on, then, peel back the mists of time and think! think!
what was that first mod a friend played to you whilst raving about some free music scene?

so what was your first experience with a mod?

back in the heady days of secondary school a German friend of mine introduced me to an artist called Alien... the specific track being In the dawn. I was hooked, I got me a copy of mptracker and started playing around, listening to all the tracks I could download on weekday evenings and weekends on a crummy dial-up (plus the ones I sneakily downloaded at school behind the IT guy's back, drilling holes in the 800kb floppies I had so they'd hold more tunes..) I've never looked back  :D

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
Remember the first time?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:35:15 »

The first mod I ever heard was my own, dunlending.it... and it sucked - bad. I probably caught on pretty quickly how to use ModPlug Tracker (just took 2 minutes actually for me to figure out the basics, I think), but it's obvious that my early 2004-2005 modules were all, well, crap.

The first mod that I didn't make myself that I heard were probably a bunch of module soundtracks from old school classics on the Amiga like Blues Brothers and a few others (I forget).

Basicly, my personal tracking biography is pretty dull...

EDIT: Remembered the names of the games.

Oh, and how did I find out about trackers to begin with? It's quite a dull story, too. I wanted to make my own music for my games and found my old tools to be rather inadequate (MS-Sound Recorder, my Yamaha PSR-280 and a microphone on the speakers. I also did some stuff by fiddling about with my voice, which can be heard in my oldest games).

I asked my friends about if they knew any free program that could make music and my friend Tony (Chunitana) told me that ModPlug Tracker was good. I asked another friend later over MSN who also appeared to be tracking for some samples and he gave me a few .XI instruments, I loaded them up and got going. The result after half an hour of tracking: dunlending.it - A fairly bad, partially out-of-beat drum and bass tune (the bass melody was pretty OK, though, the drums were incorrectly timed in two patterns by 1/16 or 1 row).
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Remember the first time?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:47:14 »

unluckily, i never had friends who really supported the scene. The first modules I found were some files in Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The secret files (only some modules of homemade maps included modules, the rest of the files was encrypted) - the first time i knew that those files are music was when i started to play around with modules in some qbasic programmes. there was a tool called "mo3" - it converted modules to the mo3 format. i noctied that i saw these extensions in JJ2 before (IT, S3M) - and so i found the first real modules. lateron, i found the BWSB Sound system for quickbasic that had its own format. zylim recommended to compose tracks in scream tracker, so i searched the net  for scream tracker, instead i found modplug tracker :) that was in 2004, when i started to compose modules. a short while later, i discovered TMA :)

btw, my first module i downlaoded at modplug central was quest1.s3m - don't even bother to download it. it's a very bad module, it's a shame that this was the first file i got my samples from :hrrhrr:
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

sciboy1190

• New User
    • View Profile
    • [my] visual art
Remember the first time?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 23:24:27 »

The first mod I heard was WAVE's 911....about three years ago....

my interest was sparked pretty deep...after uncovering more and more modules...and from there, I started actually tracking...
[insert something interesting here]

leilei

• New User
    • View Profile
Remember the first time?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 01:50:13 »

popcorn.mod and sandman.mod were the first modules i've played in a module player. I don't remember what my first player is called but it was for DOS, text mode, blue background with yellow text.

My second was Cubic Player :D

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Remember the first time?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 11:03:09 »

Mine was hearing the soundtracks to 2 demos on the Amiga, Phenomena's Enigma and one of those funny Budbrain demos..... That was back in the early 90s..

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:17:23 »

Mine was hearing a MED modules "amiganuts", mindblowing... and then occ-san-geen, which had a totally awesome panning introduction.

There was also "snakes" or something, it's long gone - it was one of those with multiple tunes inside it, and it was from a game - had a couple of cute jingles and then some electric guitar bits which i thought were neat at the time.

@Axxy, you don't happen to recognise this do you? :D

Found it!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:56:13 by m0d »
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

älskling

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 21:43:41 »

The first mod I heard (in a tracker aware it was a mod) was probably Uncle Tom's occ-san-geen too. I had ordered a some disks from some "PD library", and there were mods on some of them.

Aymes

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 14:58:51 »

First mod I ever heard (apart from my own first failed attempt) was Last Ballad by Siren.

Still one of my favvy tunes to this day. It changed my life :D

squares

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:10:23 »

well, for me it started with radiohead posting cave story on their blog, which somehow led me to indy gaming, which led me to nifflas, which led me here
so i suppose the first one ever... was probably vast silence by dfast
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up