Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist Alias  (Read 8029 times)

solo

• New User
    • View Profile
Artist Alias
« on: June 09, 2007, 17:59:27 »

After having been away from the modarchive for a long time I thought I'd drop in and see what's new.  Much to my surprise modarchive 2.0 is online.  Overall I think you've done a great job.  Must have been quite a job designing all this.

My question/problem is when I look at my artist page I see a new link called known aliases.  Where did this come from???  Eleven of my songs are now showing a known alias of captain solo???  Please scrap this silliness, I've never used anything but solo and none of my songs have ever had captain solo in any of the internal text.  Nor have I ever used this alias on any website hosting my trax.

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a rant but my artist name of solo was never intended to have any correlation with star wars and gives my songs a geek factor I never could have invented on my own.  If this is some kind of a joke I don't get it.  Please remove this association and/or explain how it occured.

I would have written an email rather than posting on this forum but I challenge you to find a simple contact webmaster email link anywhere on this site.

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
Artist Alias
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 23:32:59 »

Known artists is a temporary profile so that people can find an artist who do not have a custom profile but still know the artist name. Try making a custom profile.

And the work of the site you see today is all thanks to our loved admin m0d who's been working his arse off for more than a year for probably less than 10 bucks in pay. Of course, there were some help from the community, but that's peanuts.

Hope this post helped. :)
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Artist Alias
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 23:47:36 »

Quote from: "solo"
After having been away from the modarchive for a long time I thought I'd drop in and see what's new.  Much to my surprise modarchive 2.0 is online.  Overall I think you've done a great job.  Must have been quite a job designing all this.

My question/problem is when I look at my artist page I see a new link called known aliases.  Where did this come from???  Eleven of my songs are now showing a known alias of captain solo???  Please scrap this silliness, I've never used anything but solo and none of my songs have ever had captain solo in any of the internal text.  Nor have I ever used this alias on any website hosting my trax.

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a rant but my artist name of solo was never intended to have any correlation with star wars and gives my songs a geek factor I never could have invented on my own.  If this is some kind of a joke I don't get it.  Please remove this association and/or explain how it occurred.

I would have written an email rather than posting on this forum but I challenge you to find a simple contact webmaster email link anywhere on this site.

Sadly, you'll have to excuse Eagle's misinformation about the profiles, helpful as he is trying to be, it's wrong info. What he referred to was old and no longer relevant. I scrapped profiles, but the data is still based on the same 3rd party (that means "external") information. Your alias was picked up from a 3rd party "database" of artist->file hash mappings. Its not my fault, or anyone involved with The Mod Archive that this "database" was wrong. It might be that there is indeed a "captain solo" out there, and someone assumed you, solo, were also the same person. It's happened before.

I had a poke around on Modland (ftp) and indeed you're listed there as 'captain solo' as well, so perhaps thats where the source of this is. Ask coma to sort your stuff out over there. I, in the meantime will update the aliasing database when the weekend is over and I have some time, as this will not be straight forward.

Please tell me which tracks are not yours, or if all of them listed under "captain solo" are all yours. If there are some that are not yours then obviously these should not be changed.

http://modarchive.org/search.php?query=captain+solo&type=otherartist

FYI, I do not provide an email address because people contacting me personally by email tended to act like self righteous c**ts who more than on once occasion used it to send abusive emails regarding either me personally, or the site or both - whatever. So, to help on the extra assistance side of things as well as on the "i dare you to do that in public" angle, let them post their requests for assistance in a publicly readable forum where not only can I myself pick up issues and answer them, but the other folks that help out too.

And yeah, it's been a hell of a job doing all of this :) Glad you came and had a look again.
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

solo

• New User
    • View Profile
Which tracks listed under captain solo
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 23:28:19 »

Thanks for your quick response M0d.  All of the tracks listed under the alias captain solo are my tracks.  Even though I hate to claim some of this old stuff haha.  It's a wonder some of these were ever added to the archive.

I understand completely about the lack of a contact email.  I used to do the artist of the month interviews and other crap back for mysterium back when traxinspace was running.  I know too well the kind of emails you get when someone wants something from you.  And of course every artist thinks that their needs are all that should matter to you.  I'm not whining nor is this an urgent issue take your time fixing it.  I would do it myself if the website offered a way to do so.

Keep up the great work, I've enjoyed the modarchive for many years and maybe it's time to return to song writing with the fresh air you've blown into the scene via MA 2.0.  I've made so many great friends through this site and irc #modarchive and I thank you for that.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Which tracks listed under captain solo
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:51:13 »

Quote from: "solo"
Thanks for your quick response M0d.  All of the tracks listed under the alias captain solo are my tracks.  Even though I hate to claim some of this old stuff haha.  It's a wonder some of these were ever added to the archive.

I understand completely about the lack of a contact email.  I used to do the artist of the month interviews and other crap back for mysterium back when traxinspace was running.  I know too well the kind of emails you get when someone wants something from you.  And of course every artist thinks that their needs are all that should matter to you.  I'm not whining nor is this an urgent issue take your time fixing it.  I would do it myself if the website offered a way to do so.

Keep up the great work, I've enjoyed the modarchive for many years and maybe it's time to return to song writing with the fresh air you've blown into the scene via MA 2.0.  I've made so many great friends through this site and irc #modarchive and I thank you for that.

I went and did the change last night, so you're now listed as "solo", and perhaps see you around on IRC sometime. o/
:)
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord
Pages: [1]   Go Up