Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: .MP3 to .MOD converter?  (Read 33994 times)

zaczaczac

• New User
    • View Profile
.MP3 to .MOD converter?
« on: July 21, 2007, 16:49:55 »

Hello there, im in need to create my own mp3's into a .mod format for a nintendo ds homebrew game that accepts .mod files only for the music. I can't find the correct .mod file i need here, is there a program that can do this for me?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: .MP3 to .MOD converter?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 17:09:05 »

No, there isn't.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 17:15:28 »

Mod files are not compressed streaming-form audio, like MP3 or WAV or whatever. So you can not -ever- convert an MP3 into a MODule. You will have to compose the music in a module programmed called a tracker, entering the notes and making the music as you would with a midi sequencer, but vertically, and with samples for the individual instruments that you load in yourself.
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

zaczaczac

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 17:39:02 »

Yeah, ive just read about that... How hard is it for a beginner to begin to re-create a mp3 (something like a video game tune) to a mod format?

Aquanaut

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 20:56:10 »

couldn't you just convert the mp3 into a wav and make a one sample, one note mod that lasts long enough, and put that file in the game

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 22:12:47 »

Yeah, ive just read about that... How hard is it for a beginner to begin to re-create a mp3 (something like a video game tune) to a mod format?

How hard? Depends on a lot of things. How long is a piece of string and how many ants would it require to build a space station? Just joking. It's all about whether you yourself will adapt to the tools.

If you want to learn more about how to track, have a look around the forums, as it is quite off topic on this thread. There are tutorials around as well, a couple of threads in the general direction are floating around (try the search), and of course you can always start a thread in the main Music Discussion forum. You could also potentially ask in the MilkyTracker forum (this is their own subset of forums, staffed by their developer), as that's a piece of software specifically for tracking modules in the style of FastTracker 2 (it's directed at oldskool composers though, since FT2 won't run on windows and MT does). Other stuff to try is Modplug tracker (modplug.com), also windows based.

couldn't you just convert the mp3 into a wav and make a one sample, one note mod that lasts long enough, and put that file in the game

It would be turned back to you by the developer, probably in disgust. MODs are meant to be small, especially for games where pre-loading a massive single sample is out of the question

Let's say your MP3 is 3 minutes long, and assuming you didn't want it to sound like an 8 bit, extremely low sample rate piece of crap -  you would have to wait to load a 30MB WAV sample, or stream it - but I doubt streaming is a capable task given the limited capacity of both of the DS's processors.

A quality 16 bit audio uncompressed PCM stream is approximately 10 times the size of an MP3 at 128kbps. It's also probably going to be stored in an uncompressed module file, which just acts as a wrapper. I don't know the specifics of what this chap's developer is like, but this way you suggested is surely a big fat lazy way of fulfilling the requirements.

I dare say, some people have relied on using this exact method, but I would not go so far as to say it is method of best practice. Far from it.

:)
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Aquanaut

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 23:46:55 »

hahaha i know it is lazy it was just a stupid suggestion

squares

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 23:37:46 »

jeez, especially a wav file, the whole thing would end up as like 50 mb
id be willing to help you write out some mod tunes from listening to mp3, since im bored and thats basically all im good for anyways
i think i have fairly good tracking skills and a good ear so if you tell me where to get the mp3s id be willing to try writing one out

TaoPhoenix

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: .MP3 to .MOD conversion?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:25:20 »

I am interested in seeing a couple examples of this. I have heard occasionally "Oh, I left Tracking for composing in Mp3..."

When I get some time I'll look around for musicians who would be open to any promotion they can get (thus no usage problems).

apocalyptiq

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 21:45:30 »

I find some programs, which convert MP3, WAV's and audio files like that to MID's, (ModPlug Tracker can operate on MIDI files). These programs are: AKoff Music Composer (the newest version: 2.0) and WIDI (the newest version is 3.3).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up