Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MilkyTracker User's Guide (inna wiki stylee)  (Read 387814 times)

DasKreestof

• View Profile
Re: MilkyTracker User's Guide (inna wiki stylee)
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 21:03:40 »

I am uploading my "skeleton document". It's not quite a skeleton because I couldn't resist filling half of it out. The problem that caused is that I delayed the release of it 10 months because I couldn't resist the urge to keep filling more in. I now have a better sense of why unpaid development is a slower process.  ;)

I worry that this will be redundant with a document that's already been started. If so, hopefully they can be merged.

I'm will continue to work on the document. Hopefully crowdsourcing this work will help finish it off much faster than I am able to!

When it's finished I am excited to convert it into other formats such as html, pdf, lit, etc.
Note: The file is two zips. Unzipping will create two rars. Unrar will create the word document. Here is part 1.

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 21:04:24 »

Here is part 2.

8ch

• A#4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 16:42:20 »

thanks for sharing. i'm going to add a "pc platform" guide soon. i have already started some weeks ago ;D... but my approach is different from your skeleton-like.. hmm.. gimme some days to complete.. yeah!

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 20:00:51 »

New Version V.0.1.1
Includes table of contents
Reformatted

Now broken into two separate documents. This allows each half to be zipped and uploaded directly. No more extracting rars from zips and then extracting the doc from a rar. Now simply extract the doc from each zip and enjoy.

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 20:01:24 »

And part 2.

Grifter

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 19:35:12 »

I'm still waiting for our good friend raina to get the wiki going. It would be awesome to have place where users can document and share tips and tricks for working with Milky.

By the way, I think an open, public, centralized location for the information needs to come first. Once users have submitted enough content it can be compiled into a portable document. Having to download or store on your HDD a copy of the document, edit it then re-upload it every time is too much trouble and I think will deter users from submitting content. It should be quick, easy and convenient like having a black board with chalk and erasers sitting and waiting to be written or drawn on. An administrator can be in charge of creating a portable document based on user submitted content to the website.

So let's get the wiki rolling, raina! Who knows? It might inspire you! :-)

Grifter
rifter

dysamoria

• New User
  • hi there
    • View Profile
    • dysamoria
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 14:39:20 »

i looked at your document skeleton... it's a good effort. i just wish it were complete because i'm looking for full documentation, not looking to write it, hah hah. it's a hard thing to develop a tool, know it intimately, and then watch as people scratch their heads on what it is, how it works and what all the twiddly bits do. i've been a documentation writer for many tech projects in past. i was even a tech trainer as a career for a while. i've never been able to program, tho i get the concepts, so i went toward the user-oriented areas for "being useful."

why did you choose MS Word as the format for the file?

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 18:05:14 »

I chose MS Word format for the file because it's ubiquitous. It can be opened by all Windows users even if they don’t have MS Word, and can be opened by Linux users who have OpenOffice. I suspect that Mac users can also open the format. It is ideal that the document can be modified by all users of varying technical ability to allow it reach a finished status ASAP.
Once it’s completed, I will port it to more efficient formats such as PDF, HTML, MHT, CHM. Those formats are not as easy to edit for most users, and so I chose MS Word as the base document. I broke it into two parts because it’s image laden nature made it large, and this BBoard has file size limits on attachments that I needed to consider.

I haven’t put much work into it lately because it appears my platform is being abandoned for continued development. The 0.90.80 release for Windows Mobile has some difficult bugs in the Internal Browser that make it difficult to work with on the Pocket PC. These issues were announced as fixed by Pailes, but those code changes were never compiled into a release for Windows Mobile. :(
I can’t complain because it’s a free product and I understand that Pailes has to invest his time into things that actually pay the bills. 

[Milkytracker is the main reason I value my pocketpc so highly. Without it I would probably get an android phone.  I imagine that a port to Android would be a significant undertaking, and haven’t considered whether the UI on android would even be practical for such an app.]

dysamoria

• New User
  • hi there
    • View Profile
    • dysamoria
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 07:09:20 »

good points.

on WinXP SP3, WordPad wont load the images in your document at all. i guess i'd have to install Open Office, but dunno if 500MHz with 133MHz bus can handle it... OO is kind of a beast.

too bad about the pocketpc port. i appreciate the loss of a favoured platform (esp when favoured due to software on it). i have the music apps made by http://www.chocopoolp.com and they're dead ended due to the platform being dead (great work there by the idiots in executive suits at Palm, totally wasting massive amounts of their developer's efforts after buying Be Inc. and hiring the Be developers... i had two insiders on that and they said they were too pained to talk more about it aside from "utter ABORTION" ... Palm abandoned it all for linux-based replacements because of PR memes... hell they don't even SELL a proper PDA any more). worse, since i stopped maintaining my Tapwave Zodiac as a portable device due to having an iphone, the Zodiac's battery is useless. the device requires being plugged in & it's now boxed up because of that limitation. being on disability with a fixed income means i can't spend money on "little" things like a replacement after market battery. sigh. there was/is another cross platform tracker that worked well on Palm OS called Psytex and its followup "Buzz like" tracker. my device was too underpowered for that followup app, but it was great having a little tracker/modplayer on my Zodiac. sigh...

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 21:52:57 »

I could never get psytex to run right on my Palm, and that was one of the things that motivated me to switch to Pocket PC after my Palm died.

I didn't know wordpad wouldn't load the images in the doc.  You should be able to use a free online converter to convert the document to something you can read, such as pdf. (for example http://en.pdf24.org/)

Is there a format you'd prefer that can handle the images?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up