Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MilkyTracker Wikipedia Entry  (Read 29223 times)

DasKreestof

• View Profile
MilkyTracker Wikipedia Entry
« on: November 17, 2008, 20:05:27 »

I thought it was a shame that the Wikipedia article on MilkyTracker had been deleted. It's referenced on many other tracker pages and the truth is, it deserves it's own because it's a unique tracker.  It's hard to think of such a complex software that's been ported to so many platforms, and it's the only real tracker for the PocketPC platform.
I've created a basic page for it again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MilkyTracker

Please help me flesh it out more with it's history, facts and citations.  This really is special software and it deserves it's place on Wikipedia.

Thanks!

mynes

• New User
    • View Profile
    • www.mynes.co.uk
Re: MilkyTracker Wikipedia Entry
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 15:01:42 »

;D i can't agree with you more,

i fixed some of the links to make then look better instead of have example "Mac_OS_X" now has "Mac OS X" as the link :angel:
MOOOOOOORNiNG

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 16:01:57 »

Thanks!
I couldn't figure out how to fix that.  I looked up some code on wikipedia but it didn't work.

mynes

• New User
    • View Profile
    • www.mynes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 23:46:07 »

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/MilkyTracker <- this is a very nice entry who ever did this :D
MOOOOOOORNiNG

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 00:04:24 »

I wrote that in Wikipedia and it got deleted because there are no sources.

It looks like the way the article is shaping now is the way to do it. Although I've also written the About page on MilkyTracker.net, it's okay if an outsider refers to it. :rolleyes: Hopefully that also makes MilkyTracker important enough for inclusion in the Wikipedia. (The MilkyTracker article has also been previously deleted on the grounds of not being notable enough.)

May I just advise dropping any sort of touting (like "Wide platform support", "Perhaps no other music composition software..."). Also, I don't think the Mod Tracking paragraph belongs to the article.

Jam channels aren't related to MIDI, it's just something that's added to the tracker's note polyphony, which is otherwise limited to the amount of channel's the module has. Also, Envelope Generator hasn't been a part of the MilkyTracker terminology. There's no generating involved, just plain manual editing. So "envelope editor" or "the instrument editor's (volume and panning) envelopes" would probably be more appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 00:24:39 by raina »

mynes

• New User
    • View Profile
    • www.mynes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 01:03:50 »

*faceplam* i think a re-write of the wiki page is needed  ;D
MOOOOOOORNiNG

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:12:43 »

Obviously all should feel free to edit the page to improve it.  I threw it up quickly so that there would be something there instead of dead links on other wikipedia pages. It immediately got marked for deletion as non-notable software so I started fancying it up as fast as I could.
The reason I touted it is because I wanted to distinguish it as notable software.  Although I've worded it poorly, the truth is I doubt any piece of music composition software has been ported to so many platforms.  Can anyone name anything audio related that has been on pocketpc, mac osx, linux and windows? That's significant and noteable.
I also think it's the only tracking option for pocketpc, which is how I became a Milkytracker user. In fact, it's the reason I ditched palmOS for pocketPC.
I added the mod tracking paragraph to make the article less esoteric.  Perhaps someone here would like to rewrite it.
I didn't add the jam channel section so I can't comment on that.
I used the term Envelope Generator because many of my hardware synths refer to their envelopes as EGs.  I'll change it to envelope editor.    Regardless, most synths have at best 6-8 stage envelopes with undefineable loop points. I don't remember that becoming common until the Native Instruments soft synths started including them after Absynth. (even Reaktor doesn't have them.)

Wikipedia is community driven, and by no means am I on expert on Milkytracker. I announced the article here in hopes that it people who had more knowledge would edit the article and improve it. I hope that all will do so.  I will keep saving the revisions so that in 3 days when it get's deleted, I'll create it again from the last revision and hopefully it will be full featured enough that it won't get auto-marked for deletion for not being notable.  I'm not being biased here when I say that this is a very notable piece of software.

Kmuland

• Milkytracker Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 19:03:23 »

hi DasKreestof and welcome :)  its always good have a milky lover around us..

The wiki entry is nice... if nobody delete it. Maybe the entry could be updated with some info from original Raina´s post

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/MilkyTracker

or ask us here or in #milkytracker for more info
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 19:08:40 by Kmuland »

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 19:51:55 »

I added some more information from the NationMaster post this morning. I didn't realize that Raina had written that as well.  The article is largely plagiarized from his work.

I don't know if adding further development history would be too esoteric or not for the wikipedia page.
I did make note not to copy the part about Milkytracker being closed source, since that's no longer the case.
I've been thinking that maybe I should include a list of formats it does import. As well as increasing the number of links to other related softwares.

Also I noticed that Peter Barth is not credited anywhere outside this nationmaster article and the source code.  I didn't know if I should mention him in the article of if he wanted to keep his name private.

Thank you for welcoming me. :)

grimmeld

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 23:21:07 »

about the nationmaster page: teh picture isn't workink!

Firefox does not seem to understand the picture. Also clicking on the picture does not work in either firefox or internet explorer.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 23:23:04 by grimmeld »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up