Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Previewing .xi Instruments/Samples?  (Read 5767 times)

gibson781

• New User
    • View Profile
Previewing .xi Instruments/Samples?
« on: June 06, 2009, 21:33:10 »

I've got a huge library of .xi instruments i just downloaded and now i'm trying to figure out how to preview them without loading each one into a session file manually.

i normally compose NSFs (famicom) and for that, I've got a DMC file preview program, so i'm wondering if there is something like this for milky tracker, but for XI files...i'm totally new to milky, so any help is appreciated!

on a related topic, when you load an instrument, let's say a kick drum, is there any way to tell which key is the actual pitch of the original sample, or do you just have to kind of play it by ear?

thanks!
kurt

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Previewing .xi Instruments/Samples?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 22:33:25 »

There's no preview because we feel the internal file browser does the job nicely, just as it did in FT2. Click Disk Op. and the tiny button marked FLIP to access it. You just have to remember to select an unused instrument slot before you load an instrument in order not to overwrite your existing ones. When you actually load a sample/instrument this way, you can try it out in any pitch. "Tracker samples" often come in varying quality and one set sample rate for previewing wouldn't work all that well for a wide lo-fi - hi-fi range.

Protip: While you have to double click files in the internal browser to load them, the right mouse button only needs one click. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up