Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loading Multiple OS Versions on One Flash Drive  (Read 4075 times)

sup909

• New User
    • View Profile
Loading Multiple OS Versions on One Flash Drive
« on: August 11, 2009, 23:20:06 »

Been playing with the Windows version of Milky for a couple of days now and it appears it doesn't need to install any registry information. Not sure if this is the same for Linux, etc.

Any reason why I couldn't Install a Linux, OS X and Windows version on a Fat 32 formatted thumb drive and tote that around as a universal launcher for the program? I assume I could store my .MOD and .XI files in there as well.

Any problems using a FAT 32 drive for launching a Linux or OS X program?

jimee

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Multiple OS Versions on One Flash Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:10:50 »

Unix permissions (especially the execute bit) don't exist on FAT32. So, that permissions are fixed at mount time, with mode=/user=/group= options. You may arrive on a system with automount, where the permissions are not sufficient. On that case, you still can copy milky in another location and chmod it as you need...
So, the reply is : you could have a problem, but there's an easy workaround ;)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Loading Multiple OS Versions on One Flash Drive
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:09:02 »

The Windows versions are self-contained. On OSes with Xs in their name, the config file is stored at $home. You'd probably need to poke the source code to make Milky behave similarly to the Windows version and use the config file in the folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up