Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Install Milkytracker on an EEE PC?  (Read 9252 times)

DasKreestof

• View Profile
Install Milkytracker on an EEE PC?
« on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:21 »

I know it's been done,  but I'll admit that I don't know how because of my weak linux skills. I don't know how to do it. I've tried to install into the default xandros OS that was installed by defaut, but I've had no luck.

I'm only borrowing it for a week so I don't have much time, nor the ability to make massive changes to it. (for example, it would be wrong to install a different OS on it.)

It's the original EEE, the 701. It's tiny.

I tried downloading the debian binary and installing it. I ran ./configure and it came back with an error about the C++ compiler. "C++ compiler cannot create executables"

Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated. I'd really like to get this working

Khades

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Install Milkytracker on an EEE PC?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:10:53 »

sudo apt-get install milkytracker?

if failed then take package there
http://packages.debian.org/ru/squeeze/milkytracker

and install it trought dpkg

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:45 »

sudo apt-get milkytracker -> Couldn't find package milkytracker

I download the milkytracker_0.90.80+dfsg.orig.tar.gz file from the site you listed, but I wasn't able to get dpkg to do anything with it.
 What's the syntax?

Is there a way I can get aptitude to pull it down? or use this file? I simply don't know how.

Khades

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:40:40 »

there's deb file u need, not gz

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:06:25 »

I seem to remember there being some problems with the original EEE PC, even if you got MilkyTracker to install. Our pal syphus was trying to run it but kept getting audio driver errors and was only able to get it running after switching to (AFAIR) Ubuntu. The gist of it is there was something wrong with the configuration of  SDL in the Xandros installation. I have no idea if the issue has been fixed in system updates.

Naturally I wish you luck on getting it to install and run but note that there is still this potential issue preventing you from using MilkyTracker on the system, without said massive changes. :/

8ch

• A#4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 18:24:33 »

try a live-distro like puredyne for example - http://puredyne.goto10.org/

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 19:14:51 »

jonobo

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 16:01:11 »

Had MilkyTracker running last weekend on an Asus EEE-PC (First Edition) - you have to get rid of the strange OS, though.

Simply installed a brand-new Ubuntu Lucid Lynx via SD-Card, refreshed the APT-System and it went smoothly from there on via "sudo apt-get install milkytracker".

It has some high latency, though - but you can still have some fun with it while on the run.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 17:20:04 »

Doesn't this distro offer any low latency audio APIs or is the Eee just that under-powered? Although I doubt it's the latter because of how well Milky can work on a 200MHz PDA.

jonobo

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 13:42:16 »

Mmmhaybe the CPU/Memory was already eaten up by running the system itself and so there wasn't much left for Milkytracker - but i didn't check on that - it was just a quick'n'dirty trial-hack. If i visit the place with this old EEE PC again i might check again and report here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up