Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio sample generation problem.  (Read 6031 times)

mattia.giovanetti

• New User
    • View Profile
Audio sample generation problem.
« on: March 05, 2010, 19:02:29 »

Hi everyone,
  last night i rest some hours to fix this problem but i didn't get the answer.
So here is:

We know that Hz describe the number of oscillation during the time of a second. We know also that the note A4 or for others A3 is fixed at 440Hz. We can say that 1 second's sine with 440 periods is a note, is a A4 (or A3).
When we use Milkytracker for generating a sample first we have to put the number for the value called 'Sample'. Is that value the time length? Maybe. If we try to generate an empty sample for the tone A4 then we should put a second of empty time and then generate a sine with 440 periods. But if we use an external program (try with Audacity) to do the same thing we get different number values for the length of value 'sample', why? When we import the A4 Milkytracker seems fix that "bug" using: sample = 44100 for 1 second of time.

Can someone tell me if is this a bug?
Thanks to all.
Mattia Giovanetti

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Audio sample generation problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 15:00:26 »

This isn't a bug.

The value for 'Samples' is the amount of samples to allocate for a new sample (a sample consists of multiple samples!).  There's another thread on this board which has more information including what length sample to use so that one period = C4.

mattia.giovanetti

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 13:44:36 »

Thanks Deltafire! It's clear now: the number of samples for a sample; so that value it's relative to how much the wave is same a natural one. So at same duration we can have different samples value for the same note/frequency. Now I will look for that post for fix this little quest.

M.

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 19:32:55 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up