Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: reviewing the W-Files?  (Read 26713 times)

woolters

• View Profile
reviewing the W-Files?
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:07:59 »

Is anyone willing and able to review a few of my songs, the Woolters Files, please? I'm very curious about your opinion. :)

here are the links:

ambient5.xm:
this an ambient song of mine that I've made in a blurry mood.

reggae1.xm:
This is my newest Reggae tune. The first one after my tracking revival. It's short, but looped easily.

reggae5.xm:
I'm pretty proud of the guitar solo in this one. I hope you agree.

reggaeb.xm:
One of my best.

reggaea.xm:
It has no title here, because I forgot to name it before I uploaded it. I hope you like it just as much

cocktail.xm:
The name says it all. It's a cocktail. ingredients: Jazz, R&B and Reggae. Quite catchy.

dixie1.xm:
I never felt so eager to start tracking as with this one. I was on holiday and saw a dixieland jazz band at a local fair. It inspired me, but I had to wait another 11 days before I could start tracking it. I think this one'll put a smile upon your face.

dixie2.xm:
I discovered that it is a great joy to track dixieland jazz. So here's the second.

You don't have to review them all, obviously. If you take a pick I'll be happy just as much.

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 12:38:27 »

Didn't I review one of your songs? In any case, I remember your modules being quite good and interesting. Especially since you are a somewhat new face around here.

EDIT: No, I was mistaken. It was Neonzip's "Cell Phone Tower"-something module I reviewed.
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

woolters

• View Profile
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 13:49:10 »

so will you review one then?
I'm desperately waiting for some comments.

I've added a new one as well.

here's an overview of my songs:

http://www.modarchive.com/artists/woolters/

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 13:42:57 »

I would, if I was not being so terribly busy these days with senior high school, homework, chores and an enterprise to maintain. I tried to review someone else's module, but the spare time I had to do that ran out quite quickly. Got a halfdone review to finish, now. :|
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

Rikimbo

• View Profile
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 03:09:28 »

I think you mentionned somewhere that you were a fan of reggae and dub rythms, so that tempted me to give your music a listen.  I haven't reviewed in a long time, but maybe I'll write a full review for some of these sometime.  But for now, some general comments:

ambient5.xm -- I thought this one was a little slow to start, but once it got going, I could really feel it.  I'm very impressed by the fantastic mood you were able to create in this one.   I actually felt the chills when your bass came in after the drumroll.  Beautiful strings.  I like the way you stopped it abruplty, too.  Very nice work.

reggae1.xm -- I adore this one.  I like the fade-ins especially.  And of course, you can't go wrong with that drop rythm.  Fantastic!

reggae5.xm -- Let me tell you, it's refreshing to hear music like this.  It's so light and carefree.  The volume did some erratic things for me when it got to that guitar solo thingy, but I'm sure that's XMPlay going bonkers on me.  Otherwise, that guitar solo is pretty cool.   8-)

reggaeb.xm -- Wow, I hardly noticed when my player switched over from reggae5.xm to this one; almost seamless transition.  I really like the more 'minor' sound you've got in this one.  It's almost like it tells a story, you know.  The organ is a nice touch.  That's one fine muted trumpet sample you've got there, too.  I can see why you are proud of this one.

reggaea.xm -- While I think this is the weaker one of the tunes you've linked up here, that's not to say it's bad.  The lead didn't work quite as well for me, and sometimes I thought the bass and the lead were clashing a little.  Nonetheless, there were some bits I did like, like parts of your intro, your beats and riffs, and so forth.

cocktail.xm -- Wow.  I rarely hear this genre of music properly done in a mod, so I have to give you a high five on this one.  You have such a good feel for rythm, that I envy you for it.  I don't know what else to say; this is really great.

dixie1.xm -- Hehe, yeah, this one did put a smile on my face.  :)  The beginning is a little weak, I think, but it grows on you.  Nice work with the brass and the tuba bassline.  I especially like that wonderful little bit towards the end there.  Very nice.

dixie2.xm -- Again, I thought it started a little weak, somehow, but towards about 1/3 into the tune, the whole thing tightens up and it really is pretty catchy.  I really enjoy this stuff, so good on you for venturing into this style of music.  Your brass work is just wonderful.

So anyway, those are just hodge-podge comments.  Once I've got some free time maybe I'll review a couple of these.  I didn't say much about reggae1.xm, even though it's my favourite tune out of these, so maybe I'll try to come up with more for a formal review sometime.  I think I might have a few things to say about ambient5.xm as well.

I'm a big fan.  Keep it up.  :D
quot;I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 11:01:59 »

@rikimbo: would you be so kind as to also stick those into the dev site comment system? thanks!
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Rikimbo

• View Profile
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 17:29:36 »

@m0d: Ah yeah, right, I guess I should do that.

woolters

• View Profile
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 15:29:52 »

Thank you very much for your short reviews.
I hope I'll be able to use your comments in my next tunes. :D
Yes, I love Reggae. but I also like other styles, as you can see/hear from the list you just commented on, but
Afterbeats Rule!
I'm looking forward to your full review(s).

woolters

• View Profile
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 02:01:24 »

err... m0d?

Can I add these comments to my songs myself? Or do I have to wait till somebody else does it for me? Anyone?

Rikimbo

• View Profile
reviewing the W-Files?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:42:46 »

Well, now I don't think you can comment on your own songs, regardless of whether you are quoting someone or not.

But, on a brighter note, I put up what I said here as comments to your songs on the archive.  I changed my words slightly for some of them, but essentially I said the same thing.  I had to think up some numbers (ratings) to put with the comments too, I suppose.  Have a look!  :D

EDIT:  yeah.. sorry for taking so long to upload the comments... I kind of forgot about it.  I have no good excuse, really.   :oops:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up