Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other Interests  (Read 17923 times)

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
Other Interests
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 20:39:21 »

Quote from: "woolters"
Eagle, if you can't afford a drum set... try the sink! :D
the iron bowl has a nice djembé sound and the rim has a nice bass because of all the chests underneath it.

I probably could afford a drum set (I got quite some cash these days thanks to the fact that I only buy a few bags of sweets per month and rarelly anything else). But where would I put it? That's the problem. :|

But then again, I am sure I could ask Kefka about some play locals in the area. As far as I know, he plays drums now and then for a band he and his buds have started or something.
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

zovik

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://mcs.drury.edu/nbloomfield
Other Interests
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 17:18:07 »

As far as traditional instruments go, I took several years of piano lessons and played the drums and the tuba at school. I've also been in a couple of bands mostly for fun; nothing very interesting.

I've always wanted to try combining tracked music with live instruments, particularly chip style.

I'd like to learn playing drums as well, but this would be expensive and i think my body is not made to do such movements (hard to explain, don't laugh^^)

Jojo- drums are expensive, but incredibly easy to learn to play. I taught lessons for two years. I even taught a 5 year old kid who had to wear leg braces to walk how to play. (no joke!) Not because I'm a great teacher, but because it's so easy.

I just don't want you to be discouraged from trying! :)
on't believe everything you read on the internets. -W

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
Other Interests
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 20:32:49 »

I learned to play some basic drum progressions just using a chair and my wee hands and legs. It took me only 2 weeks of intensive practice - which you can practically do anywhere. Tap with your leg to simulate a bassdrum, right hand as hi-hat and left hand as snare.

Easy rock comp:
Bassdrum, hi-hat, snare, hi-hat - loop.

Equaly easy rock comp:
Bassdrum, X, snare, X - loop.
Hit the hi-hat at all beats, including "X" (meaning none.).

Try that or just find someone who can show you. :thumbup:
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

woolters

• View Profile
Other Interests
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 21:44:53 »

using abbreviations could help here...

hh = Hihat
bd = Bass Drum
sd = Snare Drum

now I'm going to put it in a pattern.

x = hit

if you're really getting into it and want to learn more, check out this drumstick manufacturer's website:

http://www.vicfirth.com/features_drumset.html

there are a lot of online lessons on this thing, and a lot of other things if you go to
http://www.vicfirth.com

(I always use Vic Firth)  :grinno:

Petera_SHA

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.micats.tk
Re: Other Interests
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 01:10:20 »

IWhat is DCI? Check out this vid:
DCI World Champions 2004: The Cavaliers :thumbup:

I didnt recognize and understand the forms they were making..  sorry.

Petera_SHA

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.micats.tk
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 01:14:29 »

I guess you have a different understanding of art in america....

woolters

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 00:50:13 »

err...
1st of all, I'm not an American. Never was, never will and never want to be. I'm very proud to be Dutch!

And then about the DCI vid... it's not about recognisable shapes, because that would bind every corps to a limited number of forms. It's about being on time at the right spot (putting down an image at the exact moment in the music) and deadly precision in performing musically and geographically at the same time. That requires more practice than you probably had imagined. The level of excellence of these corps is stunning. They run auditions every year to select only the best performers. You hear that audience? They're going wild because they can't believe their eyes and ears. But hey, there's no accounting for taste, is there now?  :P
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to keep a single line straight with a corps? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to make any shape you saw in that vid? Do you have ANY idea how difficult their music arrangements are? I'm not angry with you, because many people don't understand the difficulty of it, but it's just that you should have looked up some more info on it first. ;)

the Deviant

• View Profile
    • http://thedeviant.nav.to
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 09:56:29 »

I probably could afford a drum set (I got quite some cash these days thanks to the fact that I only buy a few bags of sweets per month and rarelly anything else). But where would I put it? That's the problem. :|

Hey, maybe a USB Drumkit is the thing for you.
I tell ya, if I had the spare cash I'd probably get one of these babies to thrash around on....

personally, I play guitar badly (but my 4 month old son seems to be an appreciative audience..) and stand-up bass (acoustic) not-so-badly. Only I don't own a bass at this point in time (nor would I have the space, sadly...)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:00:53 by the Deviant »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up