Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: the time signature tracking compo  (Read 26059 times)

woolters

• View Profile
the time signature tracking compo
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 10:34:16 »

did nobody ever notice that 12/8 can be counted the same as 4/4?

the only difference is that there are 3 8th notes in each count, instead of 4 16th notes.

4/4 beat:

|1 ta da ta |2 ta da ta |3 ta da ta |4 ta da ta|

12/8 beat:

|1 ta da |2 ta da |3 ta da |4 ta da|

Casus: 12/8 in Modplug Tracker :grinno:

speed: 3   BPM: 125

you start regularly at row 1, but the next measure starts at row 24, instead of row 32.
Take a bass drum, place it on row 1, 12, 24, 36, and break the pattern at row 47 (the next pattern starts at row 48 )
next, take a snare drum and place it on row 4, 8, 16, 20, 28, 32, 40 and 44.

listen to the result. Tadaaah! a nice waltz!

Epoche

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 15:17:32 »

Sounds nice..Some things are unclear anyway..Is there some size limit or can I do a 100 mb mod? And should I bother myself with the appearance of the song..Do I need to explain somehow the rhytm chosen? I might even do a song for this 1 cos I've just started tracking again (like for fun anyways..)..The rules would be nice to be clearer, now it's like possible to cheat if one's willing to..
Anyway, 15/7 beat rules supreme!

Sorry 'bout the typos..Drunk as always..-..

cdnalsi

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sebastianspanache
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 20:00:11 »

I'll try to answer your questions.

- About the 100mb mod. I don't mind downloading it, or even hosting it. But the people who will check out the entries surly will. The thing is that you will not be able to download the entries individually. It will be a big pack with all the entries, so think about this..

- Do you need to explain somehow the rhythm chosen. If I were you I'd not go into that 'chaos' type of song. Think of it this way - challenge me. But challenge me in a way that is professional rhythmically and melodically, coherent, and not just blip-blops.

- About cheating. I really don't see how you can cheat on this one. Simply put, you can of course use 4/4 for variety's sake, otherwise, I don't see how you could actually cheat. But I'd really like to see you try  :D

Anyways, I hope maybe you'll reply with your decision whether you will participate, and with the rhythmical explanation of 15/7  :quote:

woolters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 00:37:52 »

yeah, I was wondering about the 15/7 too. especially the /7 bit. Wondering what that looks like. I think it doesn't exist even. Has to do with a septole... no I wouldn't have a clue...

so show me and make me marvel! :grinno:

zovik

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://mcs.drury.edu/nbloomfield
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 01:08:19 »

15/7 time isn't too hard to understand. Basically you cut a whole note into 7 equal pieces and then put 15 of them into a measure, just like with 4/4, 6/8, &c. Of course standard music notation is best able to handle divisions of the whole note that are multiples of two.

Really, though, with a tracker you can completely disregard the second number in the time signature. It's only there for the standard notation with quavers and semiquavers and stuff. The important thing is how many 'pulses' there are in a measure, and the top number in the time signature tells that. For instance, if you track a piece in 12/8 time, it might as well be in 12/5 time or 12/100 time. It doesn't matter, although with standard notation you'd have to change the tempo to make a 12/8 and a 12/5 piece play at the same speed.

With a tracker, a better way to think about the time signature is called 'meter'. The meter of the song is (kind of) like the accent pattern in poetry. Duple meter moves in two, like

DA da DA da DA da DA da

and triple meter moves in three, like

DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da

You could mix it up, like

DA da DA da da DA da DA da da
or
DA da da DA da DA da da DA da

or just use quintuple meter

DA da da da da DA da da da da

and so on, for whatever n-tuple meter you want. Most music is in straight up duple or triple meter, though, and occasionally switches from one to the other.

A nifty challenge would be to make two parts play in different meters at the same time...

By the way, onetwothree.xm by Loonie is a great example of a mod that plays around with meter. It's in triple meter, but sometimes it sounds like duple and triple played together:

ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Fasttracker%202/Loonie/
on't believe everything you read on the internets. -W

cdnalsi

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sebastianspanache
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 02:48:59 »

The septole cannot be used as a time signature. It's a music theory fact.

I have an idea. Instead of just babbling about the signatures and stuff, why don't you guys enter the actual competition?  :P

woolters

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 15:59:27 »

hiyaaa!

How's everyone doin'? I've just submitted my entry to cdnalsi.
It is an Irish reel in 7/8 and I even found a Bodhran sample :D

I'm very curious about your entries!

zovik

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://mcs.drury.edu/nbloomfield
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 19:04:49 »

I sent my entry yesterday... I got a little carried away with the time sign. It's kind of random.
on't believe everything you read on the internets. -W

woolters

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 19:34:36 »

Quote from: "cdnalsi"
The septole cannot be used as a time signature. It's a music theory fact.

I thought so...

if you'd use a septole it would just be a very fast 7/8 beat or 7/16 :grinno:

woolters

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 23:34:23 »

Hey, it's nearly the 2nd of December, that means it's 1st of December now. How's the compo turning out? Were there many entries? Good ones, bad ones? When will the outcome be published?

seew manny koowes-chunz!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up