Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is it with these MODs?  (Read 3843 times)

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
What is it with these MODs?
« on: August 07, 2019, 17:40:40 »

I don't really understand why these MODs refuse to play in OpenMPT:

http://artscene.textfiles.com/music/mods/MODS/

I'm sure this isn't just an OpenMPT-related problem, since I tried playing them with DeliPlayer (yes, old software, but I wanted to jam to some Garfield music) and they don't work either. I also tried using MPT 1.00.alpha.5. Unlike 1.28.500, it actually seems to read something from them. eagles_m, for instance, has a ton of weird patterns and is almost empty in terms of samples, except sample 2, which is some sort of weird short string.

And yes, I tried multiple songs, but none of them worked.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 18:27:09 by Kinnikinnick0718 »

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: What is it with these MODs?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 00:23:04 »

Can't see any reason why they failed to play. I tried in several players/trackers and they all played the mods just fine.  They look like protracker modules to me.

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:20:07 »

Can't see any reason why they failed to play. I tried in several players/trackers and they all played the mods just fine.  They look like protracker modules to me.
What did you use to play them, and what kind of PC/OS do you use? And what MODs did you try?

To me it just gives me the "Opening "thisthat.mod" failed. This can happen if no more modules can be opened or the file type was not recognized."

It seems weird to me too, since I thought these were just Protracker modules.

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:20:08 »

I use Windows 10 and Chrome..

They play fine in MPTM & Milkytracker (tracker programs), Modplug Player, XMPlay (mod players)...  I don't need to test anything else if they work in those 4.  I downloaded from various folders, various mods with various extensions, they all played fine.  Prowiz recognises them as 4 channel protracker mods as does the ripper I use.

Are you downloading them from within the program your trying to play them in or just downloading them from within a browser?

I only mention the browser because recently Chrome started blocking downloading from certain FTP sites as the files were dangerous (ie this one and even Scene.org)!  Even though they are only data files it keeps blocking them. I have to go into Options/Download and click each mod that I want to keep. I'm wondering if that's a possibility. I spent a while looking for how to turn it off in Chrome online, but I can't find a definitive answer.

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:47:11 »

I use Windows 10 and Chrome..

They play fine in MPTM & Milkytracker (tracker programs), Modplug Player, XMPlay (mod players)...  I don't need to test anything else if they work in those 4.  I downloaded from various folders, various mods with various extensions, they all played fine.  Prowiz recognises them as 4 channel protracker mods as does the ripper I use.

Are you downloading them from within the program your trying to play them in or just downloading them from within a browser?

I only mention the browser because recently Chrome started blocking downloading from certain FTP sites as the files were dangerous (ie this one and even Scene.org)!  Even though they are only data files it keeps blocking them. I have to go into Options/Download and click each mod that I want to keep. I'm wondering if that's a possibility. I spent a while looking for how to turn it off in Chrome online, but I can't find a definitive answer.
I'm downloading the files then trying to play them. Doesn't have anything to do with the Temp folder, since they don't work when put in another folder either, and other MODs work just fine in that folder.

This is bugging me out. I tried some other MODs and they don't work. kanmania.mod for some reason doesn't even download properly and shows up as a 0 byte mod file. I tried XMPlay, but it can't play them either. I tried modplug23 too, because I just happened to have it, and it doesn't even attempt to read it. MilkyTracker just gives "Error while loading/unknown format".

I use Windows 7 and Firefox. And Firefox is up to date.
I've attached a module that doesn't work properly. Well, unless the composer actually decided to compose a song like this:

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 13:09:05 »

I downloaded eagles_m.mod from that site (using Firefox) and it plays just fine here. The file you attached however seems to be missing crucial data (a bit more than a kilobyte) from the beginning of the file, which is why OpenMPT and any other sensible player will not be able to decode it.

MPT 1.0 assumes it's a SoundTracker MOD file but naturally fails at decoding it in any sensible way (because it's supposed to be a ProTracker MOD file). OpenMPT will not assume it's a SoundTracker MOD because it does more thorough checks on the file validity than MPT 1.0 does.

So yes, I suspect it's something on your end (or somewhere inbetween, e.g. your ISP).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 13:14:30 by Saga Musix »
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 13:59:40 »

I downloaded eagles_m.mod from that site (using Firefox) and it plays just fine here. The file you attached however seems to be missing crucial data (a bit more than a kilobyte) from the beginning of the file, which is why OpenMPT and any other sensible player will not be able to decode it.

MPT 1.0 assumes it's a SoundTracker MOD file but naturally fails at decoding it in any sensible way (because it's supposed to be a ProTracker MOD file). OpenMPT will not assume it's a SoundTracker MOD because it does more thorough checks on the file validity than MPT 1.0 does.

So yes, I suspect it's something on your end (or somewhere inbetween, e.g. your ISP).
I tried just saving the link as a mod and it actually works, thanks.
...and I've realized that I already have this song...
Pages: [1]   Go Up