Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modules with interesting subsongs?  (Read 3968 times)

Slender

• New User
    • View Profile
Modules with interesting subsongs?
« on: December 05, 2019, 23:18:47 »

Inspired by the various subsongs in modules such as Synth Scape and Mirage by Pulse, Cannon Angel by Skaven, and the hilariously out of place sample of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in Penguin Escapes by Melcom. What are some modules that have especially interesting subsongs, i.e. alternate versions of themes, etc?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 20:22:21 by Slender »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Modules with interesting subsongs?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 13:17:01 »

Almagest by Cyclone has some interesting subsongs (mostly the first one).

Not sure if it really matches what you are looking for, but the in-game soundtracks of Death Rally (track1.s3m through track9.s3m on TMA) contain a "main theme" and pause music, which is typically a slowed down variation of the main theme.
I guess in the broadest sense the classic Beyond the Network (Bejeweled soundtrack) also applies since it contains several subsongs which are more or less stand-alone tracks.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Slender

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 14:02:43 »

Solo mods are my primary interest here, though I'm interested in game soundtracks as well if the subsongs are unused.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 19:10:02 by Slender »

wvl

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 14:56:00 »

Huh, i was thinking of Death Rally too! I even checked this topic yesterday, but i think i must've read over it. I've played the game again recently after listening to the soundtrack a lot, but i don't think the pause music is actually used in-game, right? I haven't heard it myself yet.

The menu music (menutune.s3m) also includes a loooooot of subsongs.

The intro music/boss battle music seemingly doesn't show up in the track1-track9 modules, but you can download that as purple_motion_-_death_rally_-_hard_metal.s3m. It's probably my favourite song in the game's soundtrack. :D It too contains some pause music, like the other track songs.

CHIPPERS (wvl-abled-dino-fzmx_CHIPPERS.it) also contains a couple of hidden subsongs. We had a few extra patterns left, so we used those to create some extra songs. There was no space for them in the sequence though, and they're easter eggs after all. :P So you'll have to manually add in the bonus song patterns to the sequence, if you want to give them a listen. You can find the songs by scrolling through the pattern list. :)

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 17:26:15 »

but i don't think the pause music is actually used in-game, right? I haven't heard it myself yet.
Oh, it absolutely is, it's just easy to miss. :) The ESC menu doesn't use this music, but you can hear it when pausing by pressing P!
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

wvl

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 17:35:27 »

but i don't think the pause music is actually used in-game, right? I haven't heard it myself yet.
Oh, it absolutely is, it's just easy to miss. :) The ESC menu doesn't use this music, but you can hear it when pausing by pressing P!

Huh... makes me wonder why there are two separate pause menus then. I mean, one is technically just a menu to exit out of a race, but i was using that to pause the game as opposed to pressing P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up