Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: surround sound tricks  (Read 5787 times)

Kmuland

• Milkytracker Moderator
    • View Profile
surround sound tricks
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:03:13 »

yesterday Coda explained me how Surround sound works into IT. Just right channel have inverted phase.

Surround can be used on milky too.

Load two equal samples. Enter notes in Double channels.. and set samples panned to 00 and FF .. and volume at 50% both.

One of the channels have to be phase inverted.. so go to milky sample editor and apply boost volume filter to -100% for invert ;)

-------------------

Ok... this trick consume an extra channel and increase size cause you are using 2 samples of same instrument.. anyway not all channels need to be surronded.. only 1 or 2 per song could be enough for make the track sound "spaced"

btw the older trick for get surround is also available when command and volume effect column are empty:

double channel, pan hard to left right and add E11 command to the notes of a channel

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: surround sound tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:41:54 »

oh yeah, i remember when this trick was firstly discovered by Skaven who used in Second Reality ;D
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

SaxxonPike

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 16:42:28 »

Stereo width is fun to play around with. I've used these techniques a lot (they all require 2 channels):

This one uses sample offsets - if the wave is small you can do out-of-phase stuff using this too
C-4 P0 901 | C-4 PF 000

If you don't want to clip a sample, delay it instead
C-4 P0 ED1 | C-4 PF 000

This one gives sort of a slight flange effect
C-4 P0 E11 | C-4 PF E21(optional)

This is great for percussion that isn't a bassdrum but you may need to reduce the sample's volume
C-4 -- 800 | C#4 -- 8FF

If you need to save some effect space and know for a fact that the sample will always have some sort of stereo width, just set the sample's pan to the left or right, then use effects to do only one side. For example, if you set the pan all the way to the left (00) then all you need is this:

C-4 -- --- | C#4 -- 8FF

While using invert-channel you can achieve surround-like effects, but if your listener is using mono output for some reason, it's going to sound really weird and might not even sound like anything at all.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 19:44:26 »

While using invert-channel you can achieve surround-like effects, but if your listener is using mono output for some reason, it's going to sound really weird and might not even sound like anything at all.
to be exact (assuming the mixing is precise), they won't hear anything - coz x -x = 0 :)
Anway, playing with small delays, offsets and freq slides is indeed fun - You can do it in so many ways, also something like this may sound pretty interesting:
Code: [Select]
C-4 P0 101 C-4 PF 000
C-4 P0 201 C-4 PF 000
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up