Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching 4 (or 5) XMs for my beta  (Read 23139 times)

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Searching 4 (or 5) XMs for my beta
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 21:35:13 »

I see. So effect 105 slides period of a value 5*4 for each tick, of course skipping tick #0... it sounds like it is meaningful.

Correct.

I've got to confess that I'm not using periods at all. Actually I calculate the frequency value using the 3pla: note number, relative note for the sample and finetune... with 'simple' math and using some precalculated arrays. So I'm trying to avoid the overhead of having everything expressed in periods and to do the conversion each time. After all, isn't that portamento slide just kind of 'dinamic changes' in the finetune value?  :rolleyes:

I guess that's what we all try to achieve when doing our first mod player but sooner or later this will bite you in the neck. For amiga periods this will be rather difficult because the scale is logarithmic...

just stick to periods like all players do, you might not yet understand why, but if you don't everything will be much more complicated in the end.

I'm not considering it at all, in fact. And my plans -at least actually- are that I won't support that. After all I'm not really trying to write an XM Player, there are already good ones, even on NDS, of course you know ;)

I see... But actually that's not true, you are already trying pretty hard, at least it seems like that to me :)

But mind you, supporting amiga and linear frequencies is just a matter of having two routines:

int computePeriod(int note, int finetune, PeriodType type /* linear or logarithmic*/);
int computeFrequency(int period, PeriodType type /* linear or logarithmic*/);

The rest is really the same.

Good xm players on the NDS? Which one? Mikmod? :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:58:26 by pailes »

sverx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:58 »

I guess that's what we all try to achieve when doing our first mod player but sooner or later this will bite you in the neck. For amiga periods this will be rather difficult because the scale is logarithmic...
just stick to periods like all players do, you might not yet understand why, but if you don't everything will be much more complicated in the end.

Well, I don't know how far I'll be able to go with this project, I'm trying to achieve the first target: release the first beta of the library. Then I'll evaluate the feedbacks from the NDS homebrew community and after that I'll decide if it's worth to go on. Maybe in that case I'll redesign everything starting from periods as you suggest... before it bites me ;)
Ah, by the way, it's actually the second module player routine I'm writing, the first was ten years ago on the PC, almost completely in assembler and it didn't support effects and volumes at all, but was ok for the things we needed...

you are already trying pretty hard, at least it seems like that to me...

As long as I'm having fun doing it...  :rolleyes:

Thanks. :)

... now back IT... anybody willing to sacrifice one of his XM to science? ;)

Bad Sector

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 02:16:04 »

You may want to check this out, its for MOD format but the idea behind periods and such is the same. Also as suggested here (or was it in another file - dunno, i read a lot of mod docs these days while implementing my flash player), its better to make a "MOD" player first and then move to more advanced formats (and personally i would suggest S3M before trying XM).

sverx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 18:17:49 »

Hi there... I'm back. And I see that unfortunatly there are no news :(

Raina: what happened to your WIP module? I still need it...

Bad Sector: the link you posted... it seems it doesn't work. And anyway I'm not really interested to write a Mod/S3M player, I want to play XM instead...

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 18:25:45 »

Umm.. It's still WIP I'm afraid. Haven't worked on it for a while but I'm quite pleased with how it's sounding. Unfortunately I found I was using other effects too and I don't think I want to strip them out. Maybe I could send you the tune as it is and you could see what the differences are compared to say, MilkyTracker. If your player handles the module acceptably, maybe I could try rush finishing the song.

sverx

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 18:50:44 »

I see... well, I don't want you to rush finish your work, of course... and I'm not in a hurry. So, for instance, we can try with the unfinished module...

About the effects, well, the thing I can do is sending you a beta program that plays your module (you will need a real Nintendo DS or no$gba emulator) so that you can hear how it plays without stripping away the effects...

I don't know. Let me know what you prefer.
Thanks! Ciao!

Bad Sector

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 20:21:33 »

Bad Sector: the link you posted... it seems it doesn't work. And anyway I'm not really interested to write a Mod/S3M player, I want to play XM instead...

As you wish :-). However most concepts are the same, so i recommend you to read this doc even if it talks about mod. I uploaded it in my own server, so this will work.

sverx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 17:08:54 »

However most concepts are the same, so i recommend you to read this doc even if it talks about mod.

I surely will. Thanks! :)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 16:27:04 »

Ok, the song is now almost finished. It has everything I intend to include but needs a little tweaking still. So, this version will tell us if the song can be used. I'm sending you the WIP.

sverx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:13 »

Ok, the song is now almost finished. It has everything I intend to include but needs a little tweaking still. So, this version will tell us if the song can be used. I'm sending you the WIP.

Received :)

I still would like to use another couple of modules, so this topic is still open for other to join.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up