Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What exactly is "sufficient quality?"  (Read 8627 times)

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
What exactly is "sufficient quality?"
« on: November 11, 2018, 12:23:21 »

One of my modules got rejected (and I'm not mad, really, since it wasn't really anything special, just a remix of the AVGN theme with ST-01 samples) for not being of sufficient quality.
I'm not really mad, just confused: what exactly is sufficient quality?
I would've understood if my module was rejected for being too short, it's only 38 seconds long, and it also isn't the greates module out there, but not being of sufficient quality? Can somebody explain to me how these are of sufficient quality:

https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=178520 (pure evil incarnated)
https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=178543 (satan's baby playing on a casio)
https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=160902 (the name has nothing to do with the module dammit)
https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=53926 (because I've always wanted to hear a tracker experience an aneurysm)

Can anyone explain this to me?

wvl

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly is "sufficient quality?"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 15:13:04 »

I rejected avgn.mod for various reasons:

- The module uses no effects, it's just samples only with nothing really happening to them
- The module is indeed really short
- A lot of the melodies in the module sound completely out of key

Compare it to something like GSLINGER.mod in terms of sound and technicality and it's honestly pretty easy to see which one has the most substance.

All of the four modules you linked are from way before i became a screener so i don't know on what basis they were approved into the archive. But i do know that in some cases, really crap modules are allowed on TMA - for instance if it's a really old module, or if it's part of a collection of one musicians modules that gets uploaded. In those cases they get added to the archive, for, well, the purpose of archiving them.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 19:29:07 »

In addition to what Wouter said: Different screeners have different standards and there is no such thing as an objective standard to meet here. Sometimes a module slips through though I also have no explanation for how e.g. panicrace.mod made it into the archive.

Generally we want people who are actively contributing to the archive to spend more time on their modules if we consider them to be sub-par (e.g. because it's a 15-second loop, because it out-of-tune, etc.), since this will be a permanent showcase of your musical history, and we do not want it to be a random collection of doodles people came up with in 10-20 minutes. Sometimes it's just small modifications that would make the track worth being included in the archive.

I think that sometimes this might need to be communicated in a better fashion, to avoid questions like this one. I hope this doesn't discourage you to submit any more music but motivate you instead to put more work into your modules.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Yomaru_Kasuga

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 22:56:53 »

Hello, Friendships! I have really terrible sad news is about the two modules between yk_-_wiwfc.s3m and yk_-_twinbee.mod was rejected because Wouter said that it was not sufficient quality of my modules. So, I worried that when I import the samples from creating the S3M Modules with no effects, Unless if I confused to put volume slide command for a bass and strings. Then the TwinBee Game Remix by creating a protracker module that I remaking my chiptune game music is really better. This can't be wrong?  Oh, no... What am I going to do?... :-(
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 23:00:37 by Yomaru_Kasuga »

wvl

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 23:30:19 »

Hello, Friendships! I have really terrible sad news is about the two modules between yk_-_wiwfc.s3m and yk_-_twinbee.mod was rejected because Wouter said that it was not sufficient quality of my modules. So, I worried that when I import the samples from creating the S3M Modules with no effects, Unless if I confused to put volume slide command for a bass and strings. Then the TwinBee Game Remix by creating a protracker module that I remaking my chiptune game music is really better. This can't be wrong?  Oh, no... What am I going to do?... :-(

Maybe instead of complaining in detail about every single module of yours that gets rejected, you could try to make modules that aren't bad?

Why are you naming me here? ASIKWUSpulse flagged both of your modules as needing a second opinion because he initially thought they weren't qualitative enough, and i agreed and made the decision to reject them from the archive.

If you would just learn how to make proper tracker music instead of poorly copying songs from others, then your modules wouldn't be rejected so often, and you wouldn't have to waste your time complaining about it. But the general consensus is that your modules are not very good, and you don't exactly have a good reputation either given that half of your uploaded material consists of MIDI conversions. I'm not just going to tolerate the stuff you upload because you use samples from "brands" or if you use a volume command here and there. If that's the only thing you're concerned about when your modules get rejected every time, then you're completely missing the point.

Yomaru_Kasuga

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 00:14:01 »

Thanks, Wouter, I understand. Wouter, I need your help! How to import the samples into OpenMPT by creating the ScreamTracker 3 Module and the command effects. So, I need some tutorial please, thanks.

So now, I get held back to original song forever. I'll Never try to do making a covers from MIDI, copying notes from YouTube, NSF, etc. (for all these years to come).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 00:23:01 by Yomaru_Kasuga »

clop

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:11 »

samples like this \_/\_/\/\/\_/\_/ or nah?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 14:06:24 by clop »
for for for foru forum

ASIKWUSpulse

• Trying not to explore too much in composing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 20:18:20 »

I can say that I marked the twinbee as 2nd opinion because it sounded no different compared to the original tune.

It's impressive to make an very accurate cover of an existing song in another format just by hearing the notes of a tune, but I think that they shouldn't be posted here. But I may be wrong? I've seen remixes of another vg-tunes, but if the module had had noticeable difference from the original, then it maybe would have been added if it also had sounded good
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 00:17:16 by ASIKWUSpulse »
Samples can be anything recorded: Instruments, furniture and even junk! ;)

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:13:30 »

I can say that I marked the twinbee as 2nd opinion because it sounded no different compared to the original tune.

It's impressive to make an very accurate cover of an existing song in another format just by hearing the notes of a tune, but I think that they shouldn't be posted here. But I may be wrong? I've seen remixes of another vg-tunes, but if the module had had noticeable difference from the original, then it maybe would have been added if it also had sounded good
Wait, then why was my module "jts-stage3" (yes I do understand why this one was rejected) or "kinnikinnick0718_-_journey_to_silius" accepted? It's a recreation of Stage 3 from the NES/Famicom game Journey to Silius/Raf World.
Yeah, they are very impressive. But then there's modules like this which are straight up SPC to IT conversions: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=35431
I assume whoever screened this didn't know what Earthbound was, what dumping means, what SPC means, and thought someone actually had the guts to compose a song at a BPM OF 250 AT 1 TICK PER ROW.

I gotta calm down.

ASIKWUSpulse

• Trying not to explore too much in composing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 15:04:54 »

Hm, those doesn't sound familiar to me, so I haven't screened those.
Different screeners have different standards and there is no such thing as an objective standard to meet here. Sometimes a module slips through though I also have no explanation for how e.g. panicrace.mod made it into the archive.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 15:09:28 by ASIKWUSpulse »
Samples can be anything recorded: Instruments, furniture and even junk! ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up