Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another Tracker Module Decoder - MPPWC  (Read 60342 times)

eLK

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Tracker Module Decoder - MPPWC
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 10:22:48 »

I certainly agree that it would be a good idea to integrate this feature - it's just a matter of how this should be done. I implemented it for a quick test and it works well, but it's not editable from the GUI and such - so there is more work to be done.

hmm, thumbs up!

It is the word of the man! Great! Thank you, then - if it is possible - can you build the simple player from it also? I am yet using the old ModPlug Player for playing modules which I think is about 10 years old.. It is told that it also is able to play ams but when you try it - it is absolutely catastrophic, but plays very couriously e.g. Hullun päiväkirja  :o  But it supports and play well many of other formats. The pitty that it don´t play AMS as well.

Maybe - connect your forces with Dege and I will be glad if I could then test it for you :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:47:57 by eLK »

eLK

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:00 »

it's not editable from the GUI and such

Yes, it is the pitty, but it then should not be possible to save it as ams - but I think it is not as necessary at all. I think you can have it implemented as you made it yesterday, just only tell that by opening AMSs (some message window) that some features will not be accessible but will play for now but will not be saved and if the user would like to remove it for now and loosing it completely or leave it (just for playing) but next time when it will be saved and then opened the feature will be lost..

So even that it is not yet implemented at all, it can be here for better support of playing and listening AMS files.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:51:45 by eLK »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 11:46:43 »

It is the word of the man! Great! Thank you, then - if it is possible - can you build the simple player from it also?
There will eventually be OpenMPT input plugins for various players such as XMPlay, Winamp, foobar2k and others. This is a work-in-progress and might come public later this year.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

eLK

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 14:57:13 »

There will eventually be OpenMPT input plugins for various players such as XMPlay, Winamp, foobar2k and others. This is a work-in-progress and might come public later this year.

Alright - I will be watching and waiting for it.
Thank you very much and don´t be anger to me for that messages.. I think by this igneous discussion we have found together the useful stuffs to improve this good tracker/player!
 ;)
Lukas
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 15:00:48 by eLK »

Dege

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2013, 10:46:06 »

Altough I don't have much spare time nowadays, last week I started to add AMS support.

However I'm not sure about the outcome... I can't promise anything. The goal is perfect support because no one likes half-baked, useless implementations, including me.  :)
Don't even know when it will get ready.  :-\ It depends on how much rev engineering needed, etc.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 15:48:34 »

And to hijack this thread one last time... OpenMPT has been updated today, finally bringing those backwards loop improvements for AMS files - several effects in the PTM format has been improved as well, OpenMPT might very well be the first external player to get them right. :)
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Baldric

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:17 »

Hi!

I stumbled upon this post and was surprised it is an active thread, and not something written 20 years ago :) I'm honored that people still finds interest in my old music format AMS, and the tracker Velvet Studio. It was a dear baby for a couple of years and still brings many nostalgic memories.

I'm interested in the outcome of your project, and if there's something I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask. I can't promise I remember everything after 20 years though, but the answer is in the source code which I have lying around somewhere.

Best
Patrik Oscarsson, a.k.a. Baldric

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 13:41:16 »

Hi Baldric, nice to see you around! :) Is there anything that would speak against open-sourcing your old tracker? Only a few people from back then have done that so far, or they have given out bits of the code to some fellow tracker/player developers. It would be nice to see more people moving to giving out complete tracker source codes, because honestly, there's no real reason not to do so.
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Baldric

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 09:29:57 »

Hi Saga Musix,
Do you really think people would care about that old code?
The code is in assembler, and not organized very well. It was among the first things I ever coded ;)

However, I have nothing against releasing it as open source, but I would need help to do it, since I've never released anything open source before. I could send you the zip-file if you're willing to help.

Best
Patrik

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 12:47:54 »

Well, naturally there wouldn't be too many people interested in the code, but it can often help to have a quick glance at the original code to understand why things happen in a certain way.

Regarding the opensourcing process, it's not very complicated, the most important thing would probably to stick a code license into the archive. Since we're talking about 20 year old code, using the unlicense (practically a "public domain" license) might be the most sensible thing to do. Just have a look at the license to see if you can agree with it. :)
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up