Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What exactly is "sufficient quality?"  (Read 8626 times)

wvl

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly is "sufficient quality?"
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 18:37:27 »

Wait, then why was my module "jts-stage3" (yes I do understand why this one was rejected) or "kinnikinnick0718_-_journey_to_silius" accepted? It's a recreation of Stage 3 from the NES/Famicom game Journey to Silius/Raf World.
Yeah, they are very impressive. But then there's modules like this which are straight up SPC to IT conversions: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=35431
I assume whoever screened this didn't know what Earthbound was, what dumping means, what SPC means, and thought someone actually had the guts to compose a song at a BPM OF 250 AT 1 TICK PER ROW.

I gotta calm down.

kinnikinnick0718_-_journey_to_silius.mod was approved because unlike your other modules, it doesn't sound completely out of key and it actually has substance. Please stop comparing your modules to those uploaded ages ago. I was only 3 when battle09.it was uploaded, i wouldn't even become a screener until 17 years later. I have absolutely no idea why that module is in the archive, and i don't think it was approved by any of the current screeners either, so why are you blaming us for it?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 20:23:29 »

As Wouter points out, that SPC conversion was uploaded more than 17 years ago. Back then there was no explicit rule about such conversions as far as I'm aware, and you will find several other SPC conversions from that time. However, these days SPC conversions and obvious MIDI conversions will be rejected at sight.
That being said, hand-made conversions may not be overly creative but they do not violate our rules and are thus welcome as long as they generally stick to the same quality requirements as any other tunes.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 20:55:36 »

Wait, then why was my module "jts-stage3" (yes I do understand why this one was rejected) or "kinnikinnick0718_-_journey_to_silius" accepted? It's a recreation of Stage 3 from the NES/Famicom game Journey to Silius/Raf World.
Yeah, they are very impressive. But then there's modules like this which are straight up SPC to IT conversions: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=35431
I assume whoever screened this didn't know what Earthbound was, what dumping means, what SPC means, and thought someone actually had the guts to compose a song at a BPM OF 250 AT 1 TICK PER ROW.

I gotta calm down.

kinnikinnick0718_-_journey_to_silius.mod was approved because unlike your other modules, it doesn't sound completely out of key and it actually has substance. Please stop comparing your modules to those uploaded ages ago. I was only 3 when battle09.it was uploaded, i wouldn't even become a screener until 17 years later. I have absolutely no idea why that module is in the archive, and i don't think it was approved by any of the current screeners either, so why are you blaming us for it?
I'm sorry if that came off as rude. I wasn't necessarily blaming you in particular, and as Saga Musix pointed out, there was no guideline on conversions, so there really isn't someone to blame after all.
I'm mostly just confused, the only one to blame is me for not looking at the date it was posted.
But I still have this question:
But i do know that in some cases, really crap modules are allowed on TMA - for instance if it's a really old module, or if it's part of a collection of one musicians modules that gets uploaded. In those cases they get added to the archive, for, well, the purpose of archiving them.
Then why do old modules that are bad and get submitted to be archived sometimes get rejected?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:01:44 by Kinnikinnick0718 »

Nikku4211

• Rising Star
  • Also known as Nikku4212
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 19:15:55 »

Then why do old modules that are bad and get submitted to be archived sometimes get rejected?

Aside from the different screeners having different standards, I think that is mostly a matter of whether something is worth archiving. Did the author of said old modules improve and become at least tolerable with their later works? Are said old modules influential in any major way or hold some sort of major significance?
If no, maybe it's not worth archiving.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up